Mammy's Website

Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Time to Act and “what style of craft is that”?

Well winter is certainly on its way, the mornings and evenings are starting to get quite crisp and the winter dressing gowns and bed socks have resurfaced from the storage box , though by the sad looking state of my faithful dressing gown, I think it is time for a new one, even though it feels like a dear old friend.

Being Autumn, I have pulled out all the autumn style patterns – pumpkins, scarecrows, crows, apples, anything of oranges, yellows, reds and brown.  In hindsight however, I should have  done so a few months earlier.  But as you are all aware and if you have known me long enough, I am always behind schedule, that is, if such a thing as ‘schedule’ is ever in place!  Sometimes I really do have to wonder what I do all day and where the time goes, alas… that is a usual rant of mine and even I am getting tired of hearing myself waffle on about it.

It was however invigorating going through all the Autumn style patterns, and as I have often said, my favourite season.  This time round I could not help but notice, Lord knows why it never dawned on me before, that a majority of the Autumn patterns are of primitive, olde world and grunge styles,  and I thought what a good time to explain what, for those novices out there that might not know or understand what that means. So, I thought I might just quickly explain some of what each style of Country decorating is.

Primitives: items of yesteryear.  Unless you have an original piece, the items are usually stained – either with coffee or tea to give that olde world come antique look.  The stitching maybe rough or imperfect and the edges left raw, they are usually simple or crude pieces and look like it was made by someone that was not very good in what they were making.  Additional bits, like buttons, patches or faces can be hand-stitched on or painted on.  The pieces look like something Great-Grandma had. 

The dictionary defines primitive as among the first of something, potentially simple and crude, or made by an unschooled artist.

Extreme Primitives: The same as Primitives, though made rougher.  That is, they may look damaged or in need of repair.  An eye maybe missing or a stitch missed or gone haywire, even a rip or hole somewhere.  They are usually stained much darker than Primitives or even painted black.  The faces are usually always stitched.  These pieces look like Great-Grandmas, grandmothers piece or even to state that Great-Grandma didn’t look after it very well. 

Ornies: are another one – especially here in Australia we do not know them to well.  An ‘ornie’ is, well some say, short for ornament, but I am not sure on that one.  Which ever way, an Ornie is predominately a small handmade item that you usually group a few together to make a story.  For example, a group of hearts, rag balls or Mammy heads.  You can place them in a bowl, basket, add to another item even scent them.  For example, I have various fabric fruit/vegetables which I display on an antique set of kitchen scales.  A small basket of rag balls that are scented as a room freshener in the lounge room and a bowl of Mammy’s heads as decor in the entrance.  It is unlimited what you can do with them and they really are just so cute.

Whimsical: do not always have to be primitive.  They are stained lighter, maybe colourful or left natural. They are funky or flowery even vintage.  Faces are usually painted on and consist of odd shapes.

Grubby: as it says – grubby LOL!  Grubby doesn’t have to be olde world even though most of the time it is.  It just has to look dirty or well used, even misused; here I imagine some spoilt bad tempered child throwing poor Miss Molly into the mud or dragging her behind her bike. Then again, it maybe that loved piece that a child will not give up for cleaning or takes everywhere with them.  I have a nephew that has a baby blanket, simply called ‘blankie’ and there is now way in this world he will let blankie go.  Blankie was washed once, for reasons you could imagine and oh dear what a performance.  Though to see his dear little face so distraught at Blankies fate, was heartbreaking.  Blankie was his little piece of security, it was the familiar with it’s smells, it’s touch – now washed away… oh but it was so gross, however it was his security and all those bacteria I am sure it contained would have helped build up his immune system LOL!

Shabby Chic: consists of soft colours, whites, creams, florals, cottage style, feminine, romantic, with a hint of French, that are stressed or show signs of wear and tear, almost looking antique. Faux painting is used to achieve the look.

Industrial: Industrial style refers to an aesthetic trend in interior design.  It gives the effect of being in an old factory  or deserted warehouse.  It has the effect of being cold yet warm and comforting.  I find it an interesting style, a feel of yesteryear maybe that of post-war and depression years.  A sense of making comfort with what was around and available, a statement of history and dignity, masculine  and a sense  of victory.

Rustic:   usually insinuates country, rural.  Rustic does not so much mean age but the condition of.  It is simple, unsophisticated, usually using natural materials or items as is, left unenhanced and touched.

Cottage:  soft florals, gingham, romantic, cosy, wooden,  warm are just a few things that come to mind first of all.  The cottage style should envelop you the moment you lay eyes on it.  It embraces imperfections and personality.  It can be frilly, antique, vintage, old mixed with new.  With it’s casual air it offers a sense of comfort, personal identity and security.  Cottage is complex to describe as it can be such a personal taste all mixed together.
I would say “Cottage” would best describe me.  I love my antique furniture, family heirlooms,  my primitive decor, the odd rustic bits and pieces, antique china, gingham, cane baskets and the odd French piece here and there and because I cannot decide which style I really love the most, I mix them altogether, (hopefully) so they all look like they belong.  The bedrooms are more cottagey (I know, no such word) come Shabby Chic, the lounge room more classical and the kitchen areas more primitive and with all areas having the odd piece of each other to help tie it in – I think, well I hope, it works.
 
Retro:  usually 20-40 years old – in other words it is out-dated, not cool anymore and out of style.  For many of us, it is something we grew up with.  For others, it was sentimental.  Others, it was quite gross, but wish we had kept some pieces as it is worth a small fortune now LOL!  It was bold for its time.
 
The difference between Antique and Vintage is: Antique is very old and usually around a hundred years, however, Australia being a newer country we often declare antique as being 50+ years.  Vintage is something between 30 – 50 years.  Something your grandparents would have had or used.

 
Well, I hope that helps a little and you can always email me or make a comment at the end of this blog if you have any other suggestions or comments – even to share a story about decor, I would love to hear from you.
On that note, it is extra chilly this morning so I had better go light the fire if I intend to keep warm today.  It is 10.44am in the morning and the fog outside is only just starting to lift. Cannot say that I have seen such heavy fog in a good while, plus I am excited to wade my way through these patterns and decide which ones I shall attempt. 
 
Till next time folks, all of Country blessings to you x
 
 
 


1 comment:

Jackie said...

Nice to see you back in Blogland, although it has been a year since I last posted anything too. I've moved to the coast where it's not quite as cold and foggy as where I was and I don't think I will miss the freezing winters. Nice explanations of the different styles by the way. xx